Saturday, January 9, 2010

Jerry Gabriel

As promised I'm planning to spend the weeks before Test Ride appears discussing lesser-known writers I admire.

This week I start with Jerry Gabriel. His first book represents the culmination of more than ten years of work. And it paid off. Not only did Drowned Boy win the 2008 Mary McCarthy Prize in Short Fiction from Sarabande Books, the book has also been chosen a Barnes & Noble "Discover Great New Writers" selection and is 2010 Barnes & Noble Discover Award finalist.

What I most admire about these fabulous linked stories set in rural southeast Ohio is the seamless way that landscape and longing and community combine in prose that’s honed, spare, and often, astonishingly, funny. The dialogue between the two main characters, Nate and Donnie Holland, brothers as different as day and night, is wry and affectionate, snappy and original.

In the title story, a grief-struck teenager considers geological history: “The idea that a river might change direction had captivated Samantha at a time when almost nothing sparked any real interest in her.” In “Marauders,” a whole slew of old-timers latch onto the local elementary school basketball team like rock star groupies: “We traveled like gypsies to these little towns—places called Mudsock and Comersville and just plain Water.”

You read a lot these days about a “sense of place” in writing, usually it means extra-lyrical prose about extra-pristine landscapes. (Yep, guilty as charged.) These stories evoke place plainly, and therefore elegantly. They show how places – pristine and, especially, not-so-pristine – mold us irrevocably, then shift unexpectedly. In the closing story “Reagan’s Army in Retreat,” Nate goes looking for Donnie only to stumble upon a house fire after which all that remains is a talking robot trivia game on eight track tapes stuck in the snow, a game that had once belonged to the boys. If there’s a more poignant image of loss, I can’t conjure it. And if a better book of short stories comes out this year, I’ll be surprised.

3 comments:

Dana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana said...

At your suggestion I read "Drowned Boy." I am not ordinarily a reader of short fiction. To invest in a character for so short a period of time always left me unsatisfied, frustrated, and looking for more. I am thrilled to report the stories were complete, concise, and interesting enough to keep me reading until the book was finished. Then I wanted more. It's too bad more short stories aren't written with this precision and spareness. Thanks for bringing Jerry Gabriel to my attention. I will be looking for for more of his stories.

Ana Maria Spagna said...

Glad you liked it, Dana. I think you nail the source of the beauty: precision and spareness. Watch for his novel "Resurrecting the Single Wing" which I'm thinking -- hoping! -- will appear sooner than later with the deserved good press "Drowned Boy" is getting.