Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Living on Glacial Time and NAR

Check out the feature about my trip to the almost-glacier in the current books/essays issue of High Country News.

http://www.hcn.org/issues/41.16/living-on-glacial-time

The process of writing/editing the piece with the help of HCN editor Jodi Peterson was wicked fast by the literary publishing standards (truly glacier-paced) I'm used to, and utterly enjoyable.

Speaking of literary publishing: I also have an essay ("Caucus") in the current issue of the venerable journal North American Review. Only problem is, it's apparently too venerable to have an active website. So, again, I hope anybody who's interested can chase down a hard copy.

The blue September sky in Stehekin is to die for. If I get my work done today -- hell, even if I don't -- I'm going windsurfing on the lake.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there most venerable writer. I have not dropped off the face of the earth. I have fallen behind on my reading of writings from the great Northwest. And I'm not much more tech savvy than I was when I left Stehekin. But I'm back trying to get me some edumacation now and they highly encourage the use of these here computing machines. Even in Kentucky. I miss you and your writing and Laurie and that quaint little mountain town. Please email me and I'll write back this time...promise (happybird1200@gmail.com). Hugs all around. Chad

www.hoosiermuse.com said...

Hi, Ana Maria,

Paula told me about your recent HCN piece so I tracked it down - such crisp, colorful storytelling with a fresh perspective on climate change. I'm equally pleased to find your blog and learn about your other articles and books. Congratulations on such fine progress. You are a terrific role model!

I've started my own blog (http://hoosiermuse.wordpress.com/), though lately most of my writing supports my job with Evergreen (http:/sustainableprisons.org). If you're ever in Olympia, look me up. Most weekends, I head home to the North Cascades, but otherwise I'm here.

Again, congrats on the writing life. Keep in touch.

Jeff Muse

Michael said...

Congratulations on getting the University of Nebraska to publish the new book next year. I look forward to reading it. Michael Nelms