Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Test Ride wins River Teeth contest

My book Test Ride on the Sunnyland Bus: A Daughter's Civil Rights Journey was named 2009 winner of the River Teeth Literary Nonfiction Contest. The book will come out next year from University of Nebraska Press.

The book honors my father and others that acted courageously during the 1956 Tallahassee bus boycott and also my mother who has shown remarkable courage in her long battle with cancer. The fact that she -- along with several of the "foot soldiers" from the Tallahassee movement -- will be able to read the book is a prize in itself, one that's both humbling and gratifying.

2 comments:

BookMan said...

Congrats on the RT award! I won a couple of years back (Enders Hotel, 2007), and really enjoyed my experience with Joe Mackall and the folks at Nebraska.

Can't wait to read it!

Cheers,

Brandon Schrand

Ana Maria Spagna said...

Thanks, Brandon. Dan Lehman and Joe Mackall have been great so far, and I'm glad to hear your good report on the folks at Nebraska. I'll pick up Enders Hotel straight away.